|Class schedule||HW assignments (Including preparation and review of the class.)||Amount of Time Required|
|1.||"What is Sound and Music"
- What is sound
- What is hearing
- The roots of music and language
|Summarize own music experience.||60minutes|
|Report: What sound mean to me and my origin in music experience.||120minutes|
|2.||"History of Music Industry"
- History of Musical Instruments
From ancient instruments to pre-industry revolution
- Origin of audio equipment
- Early technology in audio
|Search musical instruments history||90minutes|
|understand the early days of musical instruments and audio technolgy||90minutes|
|3.||"Audio Technology" by special guest speaker
- Audio Technology and products history
- latest audio technology
- future audio technology
|Check the Japanese audio makers and their history||60minutes|
|Report: After hearing the guest speaker's lecture, summarize the strong and week points of Japanese audio makers.||120minutes|
|4.||"Digital Revolution in Audio"
- Record industry and digitalization
- Digital technology in audio production
|Search the effect of digital revolution in music industry||90minutes|
|Summarize the change of the music industry by digital revolution.||90minutes|
|5.||"Music Content and Copyrights"
- What is "copyrights"
- Music Copyrights and business
- Digital and Network society and copyrights
|Check news about the copyrights||90minutes|
|Think about the future of the copyrights in music industry.||90minutes|
|6.||"Music School and Copyrights" by special guest speaker
- What is JASRAC
- Music School Case - what is the issue
- Rights and Cultural development
|Search the news about "JASRAC and Music School Court Case"||60minutes|
|Report: After hearing the guest speaker's lecture, express your idea how to solve the issue.||120minutes|
|7.||"Acoustic Piano Development" by special guest speaker
- What is the development of acoustic piano
- What is digital piano and its difference from acoustic.
- Possibility of further development of acoustic instruments
|Check the history of piano||60minutes|
|Report: After hearing the guest speaker's lecture, express your idea what needs to be maintained and what's not in acoustic instruments.||120minutes|
|8.||"Musical Instruments Business and MI Makers"
- History of Musical Instruments
- Japanese Manufacturers
- Why Japanese manufacturers became world leader in western instruments.
|Check the culture related manufacturing industry||90minutes|
|Summarize the common and unique aspect of musical instruments makers in comparison to other industries||90minutes|
|9.||"VOCALOID and new business development" by special guest speaker
- VOCALOID technology and its business model
- Why VOCALOID has become an icon.
- How new business is built and the difficulties of monetizing.
|Hear about VOCALOID from young generation, if possible.||60minutes|
|Report: After hearing the guest speaker's lecture, think about how to make bigger success of VOCALOID and suggestion to monetize any new business.||120minutes|
|10.||"Computer and Music"
- Evolution of computer technology and music industry
- Music Production and Computer
Professional Production, Musician's home studio
Consumer becoming "prosumer"
|Search the effect of computer technology in music making and distribution.||90minutes|
|Summarize the democratization of music making.||90minutes|
|11.||"Electronic music production and performance hardware/software " by special guest speaker.
- History of music electronics
- Japanese manufacturers
- representative songs and technology
|Search Japanese electronic musical instrument makers.||60minutes|
|Report: After hearing the guest speaker's lecture, express your idea why Japanese makers became world leader and how to keep the position in future.||120minutes|
|12.||"What is MIDI"
- What is MIDI and how it was made
- Global standardization
- Meaning of world standard ad the possibility of future business.
|Check what is MIDI||90minutes|
|Think about how we build the next standard.||90minutes|
|13.||"AI and future music technology"
- Machine Learning, AI and future music
- Man Machine Interaction
- Art, Creativity and future Technology
|Search AI usage in music industry.||60minutes|
|Preparation for final report:||120minutes|
|14.||"Tomorrow's music industries"
- Latest forecast from statistics
- Change of users and preferences
- Learning from and to other industries
- What should be the future of sound and music
|Check the future trend report related to music||90minutes|
|Preparation for final report||90minutes|
|15.||" Final report presentation"
What future music industry should look like and how to realize such vision.
|Prepare for the presentation||90minutes|
|Submit the final report||90minutes|
|Contribution to class||Report||Final presentation||Total.|