Course title
Electronic Circuits and Systems

nicodimus retdian Click to show questionnaire result at 2018
Course content
This course focuses on design techniques of electronic circuits as well as application based system design. Students will learn basic design techniques and trade-offs in electronic circuits design. The design of basic circuit blocks such as amplifiers, filters, oscillators and power converters will be used as an example to learn the basic design techniques and trade-offs between power, speed and noise.
Purpose of class
The purpose of this class is to develop a basic understanding of electronic circuits design such as design techniques, design flow (from specification to verification) and trade-offs.
Goals and objectives
  1. Understanding the function of basic circuit blocks
  2. Understanding the basic flow of electronic circuits and systems design
  3. Understanding the basic trade-offs in circuit design
Class schedule

Class schedule HW assignments (Including preparation and review of the class.) Amount of Time Required
1. Course introduction and overview of electronic circuits and systems design Review basic circuit theorem (Ohm's law, etc.) 100minutes
2. Review on MOS transistor and its trade-off
Essential points in integrated circuits design
Review MOS transistor principle 60minutes
Review basic semiconductor process 60minutes
3. Amplifiers 1 Review amplifiers and their applications 100minutes
4. Amplifiers 2 Review amplifiers and their applications 100minutes
5. Oscillators 1 Review feedback theory, stability criterion 60minutes
Review oscillator principle 60minutes
6. Oscillators 2 Review oscillator type and various implementations 100minutes
7. Filters 1 Review LCR circuits 100minutes
8. Filters 2 Review various filters implementation 100minutes
9. Power Converters 1 Review diode, inductor characteristic 60minutes
Review switching power supply 60minutes
10. Power Converters 2 Review linear regulators and LDO 100minutes
11. Analog-to-Digital Converters 1 Review comparators, thermometer coding, binary coding 100minutes
12. Analog-to-Digital Converters 2 Review flash and sub-ranging AD converters 100minutes
13. Digital Circuits 1 Review digital gates (AND, OR, NOT, etc) 60minutes
Review Karnaugh map 30minutes
14. Digital Circuits 2 Review half adder, full adder 100minutes
Total. - - 1450minutes
Relationship between 'Goals and Objectives' and 'Course Outcomes'

quiz assignment 1 assignment 2 Total.
1. 10% 20% 20% 50%
2. 5% 5% 5% 15%
3. 5% 15% 15% 35%
Total. 20% 40% 40% -
Evaluation method and criteria
Evaluation will be based on the score of short quiz (20%) and 2 assignments (40% for each). Credit acquisition needs total score of 60% or higher and submission of both assignments is mandatory.
Textbooks and reference materials
This course does not need any textbook, but any materials related to the lecture will be used as references. Handout will be provided at the beginning of each lecture or published on the web site at least a day before the lecture.
Students who want to take this course are required to have a basic knowledge on electronic circuits analyses such as the understanding of Ohm’s Law, Kirchhoff’s Law, complex notation, Laplace transform, etc. It is also advisable for the students to have a basic understanding on device characteristic of MOS transistor though quick review will be given in the lecture.
Office hours and How to contact professors for questions
  • 15:00 -17:00 on each lecture day (any change will be announced during the lecture)
  • Make an appointment in advance for any other time not described above.
Relation to the environment
Non-environment-related course
Non-regionally-oriented course
Development of social and professional independence
  • Course that cultivates an ability for utilizing knowledge
  • Course that cultivates a basic interpersonal skills
Active-learning course
About half of the classes are interactive
Course by professor with work experience
Work experience Work experience and relevance to the course content if applicatable
Last modified : Fri Jun 28 04:02:28 JST 2019