New energy materials and devices
Development of new energy materials and devices to substituted traditional energy which contributing to global warming has
become an important issue for every country in the world. For enabling graduate students to understand current and future
energy challenges, acquire skills for selecting materials and manufacturing processes in the design of the devices/components
required for renewable energy, energy management, and energy harvesting technology, this course provides important physical
and chemical principles for new energy technologies as well as extensive knowledge on new energy materials and devices, such
as, solar energy, hydrogen and fuel cell, thermoelectric, power battery for electric vehicle and others new energy devices.
It is important not only to achieve the optimum material selection, but also to make comprehensive judgments such as the low
energy of electronics in devices and the adoption of environmentally friendly technology in material processing.
The course provides an opportunity for students to gain understanding the importance and necessity of development new energy
and materials. The course will build a bridge between new energy material and devices application based on specialize knowledge
on material science and chemistry and physics.
- Student should be able to gain understanding the characteristics of various kinds of new energy, energy policies of developed
countries and advantages of new energies.
- Student should be able to gain understanding the basic working principles, new energy materials, devices structure and application
- Student should be able to gain understanding the development history, importance of new energy material and device in our
daily life and future world.
||HW assignments (Including preparation and review of the class.)
||Amount of Time Required
||Introduction to new energy materials and devices
||Solar energy materials: photovoltaic I
|| Solar energy materials: photovoltaic II
||Solar energy materials: solar thermal
||Light Emitting Diode
|| Li-ion battery
||Hydrogen and Fuel cell
||Thermoelectric effects and Thermoelectric materials
||Thermoelectric materials and properties, devices and applications
||Power battery for electric vehicles
||Other new energy devices
||Literature investigation and oral presentations by students (I)
||Literature investigation and oral presentations by students (II)
Relationship between 'Goals and Objectives' and 'Course Outcomes'
Evaluation method and criteria
The students will be evaluated based on their: midterm exam, activity during the class (presentation and discussion) will
contribute40% of the grade,final exam will contribute 60% of the grade. Students need at least 60% of the full score to pass
Textbooks and reference materials
1．Introduction to Materials for advanced Energy systems, Colin Tong, Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019.
2. Thermoelectrics handbook, Edited by D.M. Rowe, Published in 2006 by CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, ISBN 0-8493-2264-2.
3. Materials Science for Solar Energy Conversion Systems, Edited by C.G. Granqvist, Published in 1991 by Pergamon, ISBN-0-08-040937-7.
材料科学基礎 半導体デバイス 大学物理基礎 大学化学基礎
Office hours and How to contact professors for questions
- By appointment. Contact e-mail address:firstname.lastname@example.org
Development of social and professional independence
- Course that cultivates an ability for utilizing knowledge
- Course that cultivates a basic problem-solving skills
About half of the classes are interactive
Course by professor with work experience
||Work experience and relevance to the course content if applicable
Education related SDGs:the Sustainable Development Goals
- 6.CLEAN WATER AND SANITATION
- 7.AFFORDABLE AND CLEAN ENERGY
- 9.INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
- 13.CLIMATE ACTION
Last modified : Tue Mar 30 04:05:46 JST 2021